Web Page: http://dev.tikiwiki.org/GSOC+Ideas+2009
Mailing List: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tikiwiki-devel
TikiWiki CMS/Groupware is a full-featured, web-based, multilingual, tightly integrated, all-in-one Wiki/CMS/Groupware, Free Source Software (GNU/LGPL), using PHP, ADOdb and Smarty. It is actively developed by a very large international community and is translated in over 30 languages.
TikiWiki can be used to create all sorts of Web applications, sites, portals, knowledge base, intranets, and extranets. TikiWiki offers a very large number of features "out-of-the-box", arguably more than any other Open Source Web Application. Highly configurable & modular, all the features are optional and administered via a web-based interface. Major features include a robust wiki engine, news articles, discussion forums, newsletters, blogs, a file/image gallery, bug & issue tracker (form generator), a links directory, polls/surveys and quizzes, a FAQ, a banner management system, a calendar, maps, Mobile Tiki (PDA, VoiceXML and WAP access), RSS feeds, a category system, tags, an advanced themeing engine (Smarty), a workflow engine, a spreadsheet, live support, Shoutbox, inter-user messages, a menu generator, an advanced user, group and permission system, internal search engine, external authentication support, and much much more.
- TikiWiki is used in tens of thousands of web sites/projects/communities/companies and is used by Firefox for their official support site. (support.mozilla.com)
- TikiWiki is used as an intranet/extranet system in thousands of organizations and in this respect, users have repeatedly said that it is a far superior solution than closed sourced alternatives such as Sharepoint.
- The vast collaborative documentation effort is 960 printed pages, which is a testament to the scope of the project -> Over 200 contributors to the core source code base (via CVS/SVN) over the last 6 years.
How is TikiWiki CMS/Groupware different?
- TikiWiki has, by its all-in-the-core model, more built-in features than any other Open Source Web Application (as far as we know!). All features are just clicks away in the admin panel. No need to hunt down/install 3rd party plugins/modules. Because of the all-in-one design, the feature integration is very tight.
- TikiWiki is the Wiki Way applied to software development. It is easy to join the community and to contribute. http://dev.tikiwiki.org/How+to+get+commit+access
- TikiWiki is a rare hybrid of the CMS & Wiki worlds. Most CMSs are not wiki-centric. And most Wikis are just wikis without the additional CMS functionality.
According to various indicators, TikiWiki CMS/Groupware is, community-wise, top-tier amongst wiki software, and towards the top of the second tier as a CMS, after the "big 4" (Drupal, Joomla!, WordPress & Plone). It is of course unique as a blend of both wiki software and more general purpose CMS. http://www.ohloh.net/tags/wiki http://www.siteground.com/compare_best_wiki.htm http://www.ohloh.net/tags/content_management_system http://tikiwiki.org/CMS+Landscape
- Kaltura TikiWiki Collaborative Video Integration The goal of this project is to enable videos to be edited within a TikiWiki page, similar to the text, by multiple collaborators. Editors can add voiceovers, insert clips, cut-and-paste and rearrange clips, add subtitles/other effects. This project will make use of Kaltura platform.
- phpBB and MediaWiki-TikiWiki importer I'm a big fan of TikiWiki and I think that a phpBB and MediaWiki importer to Tiki might be a good feature to incentive more people to join the community. My plan is to create an importer interface with native support to phpBB and MediaWiki. The importer should be as generic as possible, so it will be easier to develop support for other softwares in the future. If I'm able to finish the project before the deadline I'm interested in developing the importers from other wiki based softwares to Tiki.
- TikiWiki - Workspaces Integration: GUI and Profiles With Data Channels This project deals with the creation of a GUI that enables Workspaces to the front user. Create more Profiles and Data Channels, or improve the current ones, will be a part of this proposal too.
- Workspaces Integration - Using categories to create the workspaces The purpose of this project is to create a workspace library to manage all the resources, users and permission related with them. Workspaces will be handled as a common resource, that will be integrated into the TikiWiki core.