Mailing List: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thousand Parsec is a bunch of games based on a common framework for building turn based space empire building games. Some of the games, such as our first demo game MiniSec, are developed by the Thousand Parsec developers themselves. In the near future we hope that other developers will create their own games using Thousand Parsec framework.
Some examples of games which Thousand Parsec draws ideas from are, Stars!, VGA Planets, Master of Orion and Galactic Civilizations. These games are often called 4 X's from the main phases found in the games, eXplore, eXpand, eXploit and eXterminate. If you haven't heard of them, other games which are a bit similar include, Civilisation, Hero's of Might and Magic and Starcraft.
Thousand Parsec includes everything you need for
- playing any of the currently running games,
- seting up your own game using already designed games, and
- building your own space empire building game.
Links for Thousand Parsec:
- 3D Battle Viewer: Enabling epic space battles for Thousand Parsec I am going to be working on a standalone 3D battle viewer that will eventually be included in the main 3D client. This viewer would enable space battles to be accurately played as per the BattleXML file describing the battle. I will be using python along with python-ogre for its ease of use and for easy integration into the 3D client.
- Finish libtpproto2-py A project to complete and rigorously test the next generation Python protocol library.
- Missile and Torpedo Wars (MTSec) In this Google Summer of Code project, I plan to complete the MTSec ruleset, ultimately delivering a working and enjoyable ruleset to tpserver-cpp. This second milestone game is meant to be a fun game and to exercise the object design capabilities of the Thousand Parsec framework.
- Refactoring tpserver-cpp The TP server tpserver-cpp isn't in bad shape. However, there are many places for improvement, especially if allowed to use the full power of the Boost libraries. This project aims at a serious review of tpserver-cpp doing both high-level refactoring as well as fixing or addressing the smaller issues.
- TP04 Support for tpclient-pywx The tp04 protocol, nearing completion, is the next version of Thousand Parsec's server-client network protocol, and it brings with it new features such as dynamic objects and order queues, media attached to objects, and dynamic server and metaserver protocols. However, tpclient-pywx cannot currently take full advantage of these new features, and it is unable to properly work with the new protocol. TP04 support will bring tpclient-pywx in line with the newest developments in Thousand Parsec and keep it relevant and useful. It will also show off the new tp04 features and improve the polish of the interface.