Write manual page documentation (for g-dot)
completed by: shardulc
mentors: Sean, Mihai Neacsu
BRL-CAD has hundreds of tools but they're not all documented. We use the Docbook XML system for documentation, which is very much like HTML, but don't worry -- we have LOTS of examples you can follow. Our build system will even validate your file to make sure you didn't make a mistake.
This task entails briefly learning how this geometry converter application works and then writing initial documentation for it. Look at the other g-*.xml files in the doc/docbook/system/man1/en directory for a couple dozen examples.
Once you've created your new file, you'll want to check your work.
- download BRL-CAD from Subversion or use our VM image
- compile BRL-CAD: http://brlcad.org/wiki/Compiling
- create your new file (doc/docbook/system/man1/en/g-dot.xml)
- add it to the build system ( edit doc/docbook/system/man1/en/CMakeLists.txt )
- compile again (make) and make sure it doesn't give an error
- check the compiled version ( in your build directory, run: bin/brlman g-dot)
A lot of little steps, but it's really very easy.References:
- doc/docbook/system/man1/en/g-dot.xml <-- you'll create this
- doc/docbook/system/man1/en/CMakeLists.txt <-- add your new file here