The task is to create a screencast for Google Code-in students that shows in step-by-step instructions how to (1) install the Android SDK, (2) set up and launch the latest Android emulator, (3) download and install an OI apk file on the emulator, and (4) take and save a screenshot of the application in use. The screencast need not be in real-time, especially one can fast-forward installation waiting time, etc.
Your solution should be a link to your YouTube video containing the screencast. The video format should be high-resolution (1280x720, YouTube HD Video). Add YouTube annotations in English. All third party content used (images, background music, sound effects, ...) must be available by an open license without fees (freeware or creative commons license). The origin of contents must be mentioned in the description of the video and/or in the credits. The description of the video should list the most important steps, including links.
IMPORTANT: Before you start, get early in touch with OpenIntents developers to discuss your concept (which features you would like to discuss in your screencast, which examples you would like to use). If you do not present your concept at an early stage, OpenIntents reserves the right not to accept your final video entry.
- Difficulty: hard
- Time limit: 14 days
- Prerequisites: Download the Android SDK (instructions)
- Requirements for completed entry:
- IMPORTANT: Discuss your concept idea early with OpenIntents. OpenIntents reserves the right to refuse an entry if the concept has not been discussed previously.
- Send a link to a YouTube video.
- The video resolution must be high quality (1280x720, YouTube HD Video).
- All screencasts must be based on the latest Android SDK emulator.
- All additional media content used (images, music, sound effects) must be freely available (freeware or creative commons license).
- All additional content used must be mentioned in the video description and/or in the credits.
- The most important steps and links must be included in the description of the video.
|File name/URL||File size||Date submitted|
|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xD3-xrCqSo||n/a||November 26 2011 23:56 UTC|
Do you require English voice-over annotation? otherwise, what kind of background audio would you want(if at all)?.
I would like to work on this task.
Yes, English voice-over annotation. Background audio is optional if you think it helps, but actually not really required here.
This task has been assigned to Brian. You have 336 hours to complete this task, good luck!
I just want to ensure that it is ok to do the recording on mac and using the gingerbread emulation image. I also was wondering what information you wanted in the youtube annotations. Thank you for the opportunity.
Mac is ok, but it would be best to base your screencast on the latest Android version 4.0 (except if you have technical difficulties that prevent you from using this - like the machine being too slow).
YouTube annotations can be the same as what you say (or a simplified version thereof), for people who don't speak English as their first language and who are better in reading than listening.
The work on this task is ready to be reviewed.
The annotations should be better visible. On a white backgroud the text is hardly readable.
I have made the annotations background darker to help with readablity. The link I submitted should still work.
I don't want to sound incosiderate, but it would be nice if this could be reviewed soon. Thank you for participating in this program.
Congratulations, this task has been completed successfully.
The screencast has been included in the OpenIntents wiki: